The Mayor of Casterbridge
The Mayor of Casterbridge Chapter 14 Summary
- Susan, who is now officially Mrs. Henchard again, moves into Henchard's big fancy house with Elizabeth-Jane.
- Elizabeth-Jane is happy to live in such a nice house, but she isn't overly triumphant about it. She knows how uncertain things can be and doesn't want to get too attached to their newfound prosperity.
- Elizabeth-Jane dresses more nicely than she used to, but she doesn't wear a lot of the frills and bows that other young ladies wear.
- Henchard is glad Elizabeth-Jane has grown up into such a pretty and sensible young lady.
- He wonders, though, why her hair is so light. When she was a baby, it was a lot darker.
- Susan says that hair color changes as babies grow up and warns him not to drop hints to Elizabeth-Jane that he knew her when she was younger.
- He suggests one day that Elizabeth-Jane should change her last name to Henchard and be known as Miss Henchard around town instead of Miss Newson.
- She says she'd rather not, since it would seem disrespectful to her dead father, Captain Newson.
- Henchard can't argue with this, since she doesn't know the whole story.
- Elizabeth-Jane likes watching Henchard and Farfrae working in the offices, which she can see from her window.
- She is developing a crush on Farfrae!
- She notices that Henchard and Farfrae seem to be inseparable.
- Henchard thinks very highly of Farfrae and relies on him for advice on almost everything.
- One day Elizabeth-Jane gets a note to go and meet someone at one of Henchard's storage houses.
- She assumes it's a quick question that has to do with his business, so she heads on over.
- When she gets there, she ends up getting covered with husks of wheat.
- Then Farfrae comes in.
- She assumes the note must have been from him and asks him what he needs.
- He didn't send the note; he got one, too.
- They wait around together for a while and then realize that someone must have been playing a trick on them.
- Before they go, Farfrae has to point out that Elizabeth-Jane has wheat husks all over her.
- He blows them off for her, which is kind of an intimate thing to do to your employer's daughter.
- He notices that Elizabeth-Jane is pretty hot, and offers to walk her home.
- She gets embarrassed and they go their separate ways.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search