The Mayor of Casterbridge
The Mayor of Casterbridge Chapter 23 Summary
- Farfrae is bowled over by Lucetta's beauty.
- The narrator tells us that, in fact, Elizabeth-Jane is more beautiful, but Lucetta knows how to show it off better – she's flashier.
- Lucetta is also kind of a flirt.
- Farfrae says he's there to see Elizabeth-Jane, and Lucetta assures him she'll be back soon.
- She and Farfrae have a long chat, even touching on some personal subjects, although they've just met.
- They're clearly very interested in each other.
- He leaves before Elizabeth-Jane gets back.
- A few minutes later, Henchard arrives.
- Lucetta tells the servant to send him away and to tell him she has a headache.
- She came to Casterbridge to try to get Henchard to marry her, but now that he's ready and willing, she's no longer so sure she wants to.
- Elizabeth-Jane gets home, and Lucetta is very warm and affectionate with her.
- She says she wants Elizabeth-Jane to stay there for a long time.
- She figures that Elizabeth-Jane will be like a guard dog to keep Henchard away.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search