The Mayor of Casterbridge
Cite This Page
The Mayor of Casterbridge Chapter 31 Summary Page 1
- Henchard has been disgraced by the furmity woman's announcement at the Town Hall.
- He'd already lost a ton of money because of the bad gamble he'd made before the harvest, but now no one wants to extend their loans to him any longer.
- Added to that, several people who owed him money aren't able to pay up.
- Finally, he has to declare bankruptcy.
- Most people in his position would lie and keep a little bit of money socked away when the bankers asked them to give up all their assets, but Henchard is completely honest.
- He even offers to give them his pocket watch.
- Henchard has to move out of his fancy house.
- He moves into Joshua Jopp's cottage because he has nowhere else to go.
- Elizabeth-Jane tries to visit him, but he doesn't want to see anyone.
- Farfrae has bought Henchard's business, including all the warehouses and offices, and even the big house.