The Mayor of Casterbridge Chapter 35 Summary
- Lucetta overhears Henchard reading her old letters to Farfrae, and she's terrified that Henchard will reveal the truth.
- At the end of their conversation, she hears Farfrae advising Henchard to burn the letters, and Henchard refuses to do so.
- The next day Lucetta sends a note to Henchard asking him to meet her at the Casterbridge Ring.
- This, of course, is the same spot where Henchard was first reunited with Susan.
- She begs him to give her the letters so she can destroy them and to stop fooling around and promise never to tell Farfrae the truth.
- He feels sorry for her and promises.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...