The Mayor of Casterbridge Chapter 37 Summary
- There's a big hubbub in Casterbridge: a member of the British royal family is planning to travel through town.
- Farfrae, as the mayor, is in charge of welcoming the royal procession.
- He and Lucetta are all decked out in their finest clothes.
- Henchard is determined to take part in the welcoming ceremony, even though he's no longer mayor and holds no official office at all.
- Elizabeth-Jane is worried that Henchard is up to something and tries to get him to accompany her to see the procession.
- But he pushes his way to the front and thrusts out his hand to shake hands with the guest of honor.
- This could be seen as an insult to the royal guest, so Farfrae leaps forward and shoves Henchard aside.
- Of course, this makes Henchard totally furious.
- He backs down for the moment because they're in public, but he plans to get his revenge.
- Meanwhile, some of the townspeople who know about Lucetta's letters are planning to set up the skimmity-ride for later that night.
- A lot of them think it's not a good idea – Farfrae is a good man, and Lucetta has been proper enough since coming to Casterbridge. If she has secrets from her past, it's none of their business.
- But Joshua Jopp pushes them into it because he's angry at both Lucetta and Henchard and wants revenge.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...