The Mayor of Casterbridge
The Mayor of Casterbridge Chapter 42 Summary
- Lucetta is buried at the church and Farfrae grieves for her.
- Of course, if Lucetta had lived, he would have been angry that she lied to him about her past, but since she's dead, it's a lot easier to forgive her.
- Henchard and Farfrae avoid each other, but Farfrae sticks with his old plan to set Henchard up with a grain and seed shop in town.
- The shop does well, and Elizabeth-Jane helps out a lot.
- Henchard does whatever Elizabeth-Jane says. He's terrified of offending her and making her move away.
- He notices that she has a lot of new books and wonders how she can afford them when she's usually so good about saving money.
- She avoids his questions when he asks about them, and he doesn't press the point.
- He begins to suspect that Farfrae and Elizabeth-Jane are an item, and he's heartbroken at the idea that Farfrae might take Elizabeth-Jane away from him.
- But he doesn't want to interfere. He's come to realize that Elizabeth-Jane has the right to do what she likes, as does Farfrae.
- He does, however, start spying on her.
- He sees the two of them meet on one of her long walks.
- He's jealous, but still promises himself not to interfere.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search