The Mayor of Casterbridge
Cite This Page
The Mayor of Casterbridge Chapter 44 Summary Page 1
- Henchard, meanwhile, walks straight out of town and keeps walking until he can't go any further.
- He sleeps the first night in a hayfield.
- Eventually he arrives at Weydon, the town where he sold Susan.
- He can't stop thinking about Elizabeth-Jane, and instead of walking still further away from Casterbridge, he starts walking in an orbit around the town.
- He constantly imagines what Elizabeth-Jane might be doing – going on a walk, working on her sewing, etc.
- Meanwhile, back in Casterbridge, Elizabeth-Jane and Farfrae are celebrating their wedding.
- Everyone is dancing, Newson just as exuberantly as any of the young folks.