McCarthyism & Red Scare
Discussion and Essay Questions
Available to teachers only as part of the Teaching Cold War: McCarthyism & Red ScareTeacher Pass
Teaching Cold War: McCarthyism & Red Scare Teacher Pass includes:
- Assignments & Activities
- Reading Quizzes
- Current Events & Pop Culture articles
- Discussion & Essay Questions
- Challenges & Opportunities
- Related Readings in Literature & History
Sample of Discussion and Essay Questions
- Consider the bold decisions made by Truman—he used the atomic bomb against Japan, he took a hard line against the Soviets, and he pledged to combat communist expansion throughout the world.
- Are you surprised that he acted so boldly?
- Does the boldness of his actions square with his path to the presidency?
- Do you think Roosevelt would have approved?
- What if Wallace rather than Truman had been vice-president?
- What do you think of Wallace’s campaign positions?
- Would his conciliatory approach have been wise?
- What message did his defeat send to politicians of both parties?
- What does all this say about the vice-presidential selection process?
- What lesson should presidential candidates learn about their vice-presidential decisions?