Measure for Measure
Cite This Page
Measure for Measure Act 2, scene 3 Summary Page 1
- Meanwhile, the Duke shows up at the prison disguised as a friar so he can "minister" to the inmates. (Yep, that's pretty odd. Check out our thoughts in "Characters: Duke Vincentio" if you want some insight into this.)
- Juliet enters and the Provost tells the Duke/Friar that Juliet is going to have a baby out of wedlock and her baby daddy is sentenced to die tomorrow.
- The Duke/Friar asks Juliet if she repents her sin.
- She does.
- The Duke wants to know if the sex was consensual.
- It was.
- Juliet says that her sin was bigger than Claudio's. (Weird. What's up with that?)
- The Duke/Friar tells Juliet he's off to see Claudio, who is set to die tomorrow.
- Juliet is shocked to hear of Claudio's punishment and says as much.