Middlemarch Book 3, Chapter 28 Summary
- The chapter opens with Dorothea in her little room at Lowick – they're back from their honeymoon (good: maybe we'll find out why Lydgate was called to Lowick at the end of the previous chapter).
- She looks at the portrait of Will's grandmother, and is reminded of him.
- Celia and Mr. Brooke come to visit, and Dorothea goes down to see them.
- Celia tells her that she's now engaged to Sir James Chettam, and Dorothea is glad for her.
- Sir James has gone on with the plan to improve the cottages on his estate (and has employed Caleb Garth to do the planning and building).
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search