Middlemarch Book 3, Chapter 33 Summary
- Mary Garth is sitting up in Mr. Featherstone's room, in case he should want anything during the night.
- He wakes up and calls her over to his bedside.
- He asks her to get his will out of the safe, and gives her the keys.
- He wants her to burn the second will so that only the first will be valid.
- She refuses – without any witnesses in the room, messing with his will, even at his request, could get her in a lot of trouble.
- He gets frustrated, and even offers her a bribe, but she holds firm.
- And then he dies.