by George Eliot
Rosamond Vincy Timeline and Summary
- Rosamond comes home from Mrs. Lemon's finishing school, determined to marry someone handsome and distinguished – preferably not one of the boys she's known since childhood.
- She decides Mr. Lydgate's the one for her, and sets about making him fall in love with her.
- She succeeds, and they get married.
- Their spending far exceeds Lydgate's income, and they fall into debt.
- She blames him entirely.
- When he wants her to do unpleasant things, like move to a smaller house, she smiles serenely and then goes behind his back to change his orders.
- She doesn't like her husband's behavior very much these days, and prefers hanging out with Will Ladislaw.
- She convinces herself that she's in love with Will, and tells him so.
- He brushes off her advances, because he's in love with Dorothea.
- Dorothea walks in and sees Rosamond with Will.
- Will scolds Rosamond enough to make her cry.
- She feels guilty for the first time ever and decides to try to make things right.
- She tells Dorothea the truth.
- She lives with her husband unhappily until he dies.
- After the end of the novel, she remarries to a wealthy old doctor.