The Mill on the Floss
The Mill on the Floss Book 1, Chapter 10 Summary
Maggie Behave Worse than She Expected
- We quickly learn that the object in question is Lucy, covered in mud.
- We flashback, Lost-style, to the moment when the kids went outside.
- Tom is still being bratty and is ignoring Maggie.
- Lucy likes Maggie and tries to include her, but Maggie is getting increasingly upset.
- Tom decides to go check out the pond, even though Aunt Pullet told them to stay in the garden.
- Tom and Lucy take off for the pond and Maggie follows.
- The kids spy a snake. Maggie comes to look at it and Tom tells her to go away.
- Finally Maggie snaps and shoves Lucy in the mud in a fit of anger.
- Tom is so mad that he slaps Maggie on the arm and then takes a crying Lucy home. He tells Maggie that he’s going to tell on her and Maggie is angry and upset.
- So Tom takes Lucy back to the house and the adults quickly get her cleaned up. Mrs. Tulliver is upset that she has such awful children – Maggie pushed her cousin in the mud and Tom went to the pond in the first place.
- Mrs. Tulliver wonders where Maggie is and Tom says he doesn’t know. Tom goes to look for Maggie but he can’t find her. Mrs. Tulliver freaks out.
- Aunt Pullet gladly sends the group back to Dorlcote Mill to look for Maggie. She wants peace and quiet restored in her house.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search