The Mill on the Floss
Cite This Page
The Mill on the Floss Book 1, Chapter 10 Summary Page 1
Maggie Behave Worse than She Expected
- We quickly learn that the object in question is Lucy, covered in mud.
- We flashback, Lost-style, to the moment when the kids went outside.
- Tom is still being bratty and is ignoring Maggie.
- Lucy likes Maggie and tries to include her, but Maggie is getting increasingly upset.
- Tom decides to go check out the pond, even though Aunt Pullet told them to stay in the garden.
- Tom and Lucy take off for the pond and Maggie follows.
- The kids spy a snake. Maggie comes to look at it and Tom tells her to go away.
- Finally Maggie snaps and shoves Lucy in the mud in a fit of anger.
- Tom is so mad that he slaps Maggie on the arm and then takes a crying Lucy home. He tells Maggie that he’s going to tell on her and Maggie is angry and upset.
- So Tom takes Lucy back to the house and the adults quickly get her cleaned up. Mrs. Tulliver is upset that she has such awful children – Maggie pushed her cousin in the mud and Tom went to the pond in the first place.
- Mrs. Tulliver wonders where Maggie is and Tom says he doesn’t know. Tom goes to look for Maggie but he can’t find her. Mrs. Tulliver freaks out.
- Aunt Pullet gladly sends the group back to Dorlcote Mill to look for Maggie. She wants peace and quiet restored in her house.