The Mill on the Floss
The Mill on the Floss Book 1, Chapter 11 Summary
Maggie Tries to Run Away from her Shadow
- Maggie is so upset that she decides to run away from home and join the gypsies since everyone always tells her that she looks like a "wild gypsy" anyway.
- Maggie has heard that the gypsies often camp out on Dunlow Common so she heads off, guessing as to the right direction.
- After walking for a while, Maggie starts to get a little scared, tired, and hungry. Her overactive imagination kicks in and she worries about everything from robbers to demons.
- Rather abruptly, Maggie comes upon some gypsies.
- The gypsies are very nice to Maggie and quickly relieve her of most of her possessions.
- Maggie tells the gypsies that she has run away to live with them. They find this amusing.
- The gypsies give Maggie some food, but Maggie doesn’t like it.
- Maggie starts to get scared and the gypsies discuss the situation in a language that Maggie doesn’t understand.
- Some gypsy men show up and they agree to take Maggie back home after she tells them where she lives.
- But Maggie is scared by this point and is convinced that they are going to murder her.
- Luckily the gypsies are actually quite nice and they head towards Maggie’s house.
- On the way, they run into Maggie’s dad and she is glad to be reunited with him.
- When they get home, Mr. Tulliver tells his wife and son to lay off Maggie and the gypsy incident is never mentioned again.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...