The Mill on the Floss
The Mill on the Floss Book 1, Chapter 11 Summary
Maggie Tries to Run Away from her Shadow
- Maggie is so upset that she decides to run away from home and join the gypsies since everyone always tells her that she looks like a "wild gypsy" anyway.
- Maggie has heard that the gypsies often camp out on Dunlow Common so she heads off, guessing as to the right direction.
- After walking for a while, Maggie starts to get a little scared, tired, and hungry. Her overactive imagination kicks in and she worries about everything from robbers to demons.
- Rather abruptly, Maggie comes upon some gypsies.
- The gypsies are very nice to Maggie and quickly relieve her of most of her possessions.
- Maggie tells the gypsies that she has run away to live with them. They find this amusing.
- The gypsies give Maggie some food, but Maggie doesn’t like it.
- Maggie starts to get scared and the gypsies discuss the situation in a language that Maggie doesn’t understand.
- Some gypsy men show up and they agree to take Maggie back home after she tells them where she lives.
- But Maggie is scared by this point and is convinced that they are going to murder her.
- Luckily the gypsies are actually quite nice and they head towards Maggie’s house.
- On the way, they run into Maggie’s dad and she is glad to be reunited with him.
- When they get home, Mr. Tulliver tells his wife and son to lay off Maggie and the gypsy incident is never mentioned again.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search