The Mill on the Floss
by George Eliot
The Mill on the Floss Book 2, Chapter 5 Summary
Maggie’s Second Visit
- Tom and Philip are no longer speaking and only talk to one another when Mr. Stelling is around.
- Maggie shows up and Tom is glad.
- Maggie instantly likes Philip since she pities him.
- Tom runs upstairs, telling Maggie that he has a surprise for her and that he’ll show it to her later that day.
- The boys and Maggie gather in the school room to do homework.
- Philip is instantly charmed by Maggie and wishes that he had a nice sister like her.
- Tom then drags Maggie upstairs for his big surprise.
- He makes Maggie close her eyes and, when she opens them, she sees Tom, dressed up with a fake mustache, holding a real sword. Tom starts swinging the sword around and Maggie freaks out and says he’ll hurt himself.
- Maggie was right, since Tom quickly drops the swords and stabs himself in the foot. Maggie starts screaming and the whole household is in turmoil.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...