The Mill on the Floss
Cite This Page
The Mill on the Floss Book 3, Chapter 8 Summary Page 1
Daylight on the Wreck
- Mr. Tulliver is finally able to come downstairs again, since his health is better. He has some really big memory gaps though, and has no idea how bad his family’s current situation is.
- The doctor, Mr. Turnbull, worries about him ever regaining his memory.
- Mr. Wakem has bought the mill and the rest of the family regards Mr. Tulliver’s hatred of Mr. Wakem as unreasonable. The aunts and uncles feel that Mr. Tulliver has caused enough problems already and ought to just suck it up and deal with Wakem now.
- Tom wants nothing to do with Wakem, but his mom insists that they need to get his father to accept the situation and work for Wakem now.
- Mr. Tulliver is still pretty confused and is basically living in the past.
- The family and Luke gently try to break the news to Mr. Tulliver, who is horrified to learn that he is now bankrupt.
- Mr. Tulliver wants to go downstairs to see how bad it is. Luke helps him down and he asks to see the family Bible.
- Mr. Tulliver makes sure that no one has asked Mrs. Moss for money.
- He then apologizes to Mrs. Tulliver for all the trouble and Mrs. Tulliver lets slip that Wakem now owns the mill.
- Mr. Tulliver is totally shocked and says they can do whatever they like with him now. He’s pretty much beaten down.