The Mill on the Floss
The Mill on the Floss Book 5, Chapter 6 Summary
The Hard-Won Triumph
- Three weeks have passed.
- Tom gathers all the family in the parlor to tell them some news.
- First Tom asks his dad to check out his box of money and see how much is in it. Mr. Tulliver thinks this is dumb since he already knows how much is in there, because he counts his money every day.
- Tom then asks how much money is needed to pay off the debts and Mr. Tulliver is like, "I know how much!"
- Tom finally quits jerking everyone around and announces that he has raised enough money to pay the family debts.
- The family is overjoyed.
- Tom explains that the debts will be paid off tomorrow. Mr. Deane has arranged a meeting with the creditors and Mr. Glegg will be there tomorrow also.
- Mr. Tulliver is excited and tells Tom that he can make a speech to the creditors about restoring the family’s good name.
- Tom is totally triumphant and is joyful. Maggie puts aside her anger and praises Tom.
- Tom then tells Mr. Tulliver the whole story of how he raised the money. Mr. Tulliver gives props to Bob Jakin for helping them out.
- That night Mr. Tulliver wakes up from a dream, thinking that he finally had gotten even with Mr. Wakem.