The Mill on the Floss
The Mill on the Floss Book 6, Chapter 10 Summary
The Spell Seems Broken
- Time for a party. It’s a who’s who deal for St. Ogg’s. Everyone cool is there.
- Maggie refuses to dance at first but finally agree to dance with a man named Mr. Torry. She has fun.
- Stephen is back to ignoring Maggie. He is conflicted, especially after his confrontation with Philip yesterday. Part of Stephen wants to claim Maggie for himself and the other part wants to do the right thing by Philip.
- Stephen can’t stay away, though, and he and Maggie go for a walk outside together.
- They have another Moment with capital M.
- Maggie goes to pick a flower and Stephen finally loses control and starts kissing her arm. Which is kind of weird.
- Maggie flips out and worries that Stephen thinks she’s some kind of woman of questionable morals.
- She runs off and Stephen feels like a moron.
- The two go back inside and try to pretend like nothing happened.
- Philip comes by the next day to talk to Maggie. He tries to give her an out and absolve her of her sort-of promise to marry him one day.
- But Maggie tells him that only reason she won’t marry him is because of her brother, which is a cop-out.
- Philip is still suspicious of Maggie and Stephen, though.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...