The Mill on the Floss
The Mill on the Floss Book 6, Chapter 9 Summary
Charity in Full Dress
- It’s the day of the bazaar in St. Ogg’s.
- Maggie is stuck manning a popular booth, which doesn’t make her happy. She’d rather be somewhere less conspicuous.
- Stephen hangs out at Lucy’s booth and she scolds him for ignoring Maggie.
- Mr. Wakem then goes over to Maggie’s booth and is very polite to her.
- Maggie is confused by his behavior.
- Stephen then comes to see how she’s doing after Mr. Wakem leaves.
- Meanwhile, Philip is lurking in a corner watching them.
- Stephen sees him and goes over to confront him.
- The two get into a passive-aggressive argument.
- Stephen then leaves Philip and goes to the town library to sulk.
- Maggie is still at her booth, having yet another internal crisis.
- Dr. Kenn sees her and notices she looks distraught. He goes up to talk to her.
- He asks if she’ll be in town long and Maggie says no rather abruptly.
- Dr. Kenn leaves and Maggie goes back to pondering Philip and Stephen.
- Later that night, Lucy and Maggie are talking and Maggie tells her that she is going away soon to start a new governess position.
- Lucy is upset that Maggie hadn’t told her earlier and can’t understand why Maggie is leaving Philip.
- Maggie explains that Tom would never let her marry Philip and she can’t break off relations with her brother.
- Lucy thinks Tom is being ridiculous.
- Maggie assures Lucy that she’d marry Philip if it weren’t for Tom, and Lucy believes her.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search