The Mill on the Floss
The Mill on the Floss Book 7, Chapter 3 Summary
Showing that Old Acquaintances Are Capable of Surprising Us
- The unexpected behavior comes from none other than Mrs. Glegg.
- Mrs. Tulliver reports on this to Maggie.
- Turns out that Mrs. Glegg heard about everything from Tom and tells him off for thinking so badly of his sister.
- Mrs. Glegg says that family needs to stick together and that Maggie is family first and foremost.
- She refuses to believe the worst of Maggie and even gets into an argument with Mr. Glegg, who has taken Lucy’s side in the whole thing.
- After hearing of Stephen’s letter Mrs. Glegg feels vindicated and tells off anyone who doubts Maggie’s honor.
- Aunt Pullet is totally distraught and has no idea how to act since nothing like this has ever happened to the family before.
- Mrs. Glegg goes after Tom again after Stephen’s letter arrives. Tom won’t budge, though, and sticks to his bad opinion of Maggie.
- Mrs. Glegg feels that Maggie should be punished but in proportion to the actual crime (which was really a lapse in judgement as opposed to really scandalous behavior) and should be punished by the family, not by outsiders who don’t know what’s going on.
- Mrs. Tulliver tells Maggie that Mrs. Glegg has invited her to live at the Gleggs' house.
- Maggie is very grateful but insists that she needs to make her own way in the world now.
- A few days go by and finally Maggie receives a letter from Philip.
- This letter is epic. Philip tells Maggie that he believes in her and that he still loves her and doesn’t blame her for anything. He understands that they had a weird situation and made hasty promises to each other when they were young.
- Philip tells Maggie that loving her was the best thing that has ever happened to him and he doesn’t regret it at all.
- He tells her he forgives her everything and hopes she’ll be happy and not to worry about him.
- Maggie does what anyone with a heart would do after reading a letter like that: cries.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search