The Mill on the Floss
by George Eliot
Mr. Tulliver Timeline and Summary
- Mr. Tulliver wants to send his son Tom to a good school.
- On Mr. Riley’s advice, Mr. Tulliver sends his son to study with Mr. Stelling.
- Mr. Tulliver agrees to not make his sister pay her debt to him, since she and her family are very poor.
- Mr. Tulliver loses a lawsuit against a client of Mr. Wakem.
- In his shock and despair over the lawsuit and the fact that his home mortgage has passed to Wakem, Mr. Tulliver has a stroke.
- He is seriously ill while his family is declared bankrupt.
- Tom upholds his father’s wishes regarding the Moss family.
- Mr. Tulliver recovers and is shocked to learn how bad his family’s circumstances are.
- Mr. Tulliver agrees to go work for Mr. Wakem, the new owner of the family mill, at his wife’s behest.
- Mr. Tulliver curses Wakem in the family Bible and swears vengeance against him.
- He is increasingly obsessed with money and grows depressed and angry.
- Mr. Tulliver is thrilled when Tom earns enough money to pay the family debts.
- After he encounters Wakem on the road, Mr. Tulliver attacks Wakem and horsewhips him.
- His health fails him once more and Mr. Tulliver dies after making his son promise to buy back the mill and to take care of his sister.