The Mill on the Floss
by George Eliot
Philip Wakem Timeline and Summary
- Philip begins attending school with Tom at Mr. Stelling’s.
- Philip and Tom do not really hit if off at school, though they bond some over Philip’s drawing.
- Philip meets Tom’s sister Maggie and instantly forms a bond with her.
- Philip sympathizes with Tom after Tom injures his foot with a sword.
- Maggie continues to visit Tom at school but Philip is never there when she is.
- Maggie encounters Philip again a few years later.
- Philip has not forgotten Maggie and carries a picture he drew of her around with him.
- Philip asks Maggie to continue to see him and to remain his friend and Maggie eventually agrees.
- A year passes and Philip remains close to Maggie, meeting to talk with her and lending her books.
- Philip declares his love for Maggie and Maggie reciprocates.
- Tom discovers Maggie and Philip. Philip and Tom argue.
- Philip is understanding when Maggie won’t see him anymore.
- A few more years pass and Philip encounters Maggie at Lucy Deane’s house.
- Philip is still in love with Maggie and she reassures him of her love but says she’s unable to marry him.
- Lucy enlists Philip in a scheme to help the Tullivers buy back their mill from Mr. Wakem.
- Philip tells his father of his feelings for Maggie.
- Philip grows suspicious of Maggie’s relationship with Stephen.
- A heartbroken Philip recovers and writes a letter to Maggie forgiving her after she elopes with Stephen.
- Philip regularly visits Tom’s and Maggie’s grave.