The Mill on the Floss
by George Eliot
Stephen Guest Timeline and Summary
- Stephen is Lucy’s suitor and frequently visits her at her home.
- Stephen jokingly assumes that Maggie will look like her mother and is shocked when he actually meets her.
- Stephen is drawn to Maggie instantly and begins to act in order to gain her attention.
- Stephen begins to fall in love with Maggie and is anxious to be in her presence.
- Stephen conspicuously ignores Maggie at the bazar and then gets into a small argument with Philip, Maggie’s other suitor.
- Stephen impulsively kisses Maggie’s arm at a ball and she is upset.
- He follows Maggie to her Aunt Moss’s house where he declares his love for her.
- The pair try to control their feelings, since they don’t wish to hurt Philip or Lucy.
- Maggie and Stephen go rowing on the river and stray too far from home.
- Stephen says this is fate and asks Maggie to elope with him.
- He hails a ship and tells them that he and Maggie are married. The pair spend the night onboard the ship, heading to a nearby port.
- Stephen and Maggie have a major confrontation at a local inn. Stephen begs Maggie not to leave him, but she eventually does.
- Stephen leaves the country in despair.
- He writes a letter to his family to explain the situation and he takes the blame for everything that happened.
- Stephen writes a letter to Maggie begging her to reconsider.
- Years later, Stephen is presumably married to Lucy and the two visit Maggie’s and Tom’s grave.