The Mill on the Floss
by George Eliot
Tom Tulliver Timeline and Summary
- Tom arrives home from school and brings Maggie a fishing rod.
- But he is soon furious to learn that she forgot about his rabbits and they died.
- Tom forgives Maggie and the two go fishing together.
- Tom has a falling out with his friend Bob Jakin.
- Tom helps Maggie cut her hair and then laughs at how ridiculous she looks.
- While visiting the Pullets, Tom is angry with Maggie and pays more attention to Lucy.
- Tom hits Maggie when she pushes Lucy into the mud and he takes Lucy home.
- Tom begins attending school with Mr. Stelling and he hates it.
- Maggie visits Tom at school.
- Philip Wakem starts attending school with Tom and the two never really hit it off.
- Tom borrows a real sword and injures his foot.
- He and Philip bond over his injury, but their friendship is short-lived.
- Tom continues at school till age sixteen.
- Maggie comes to get Tom after their father loses his lawsuit.
- Tom stands up to his family and tries to carry out his father’s wishes regarding the Moss’s debt.
- Tom asks his Uncle Deane for a job and begins work at Guest and Co.
- At his father’s request, Tom curses Mr. Wakem in the family Bible.
- Tom continues to excel at work and starts an investment scheme with Bob Jakin.
- Tom gets the Gleggs to help with his investment plans.
- When he discovers Maggie’s and Philip’s relationship, Tom is furious and forbids them to meet again.
- Tom fights with Philip and insults him, and then he fights with Maggie.
- Tom earns enough money to pay his family’s debts.
- After paying off the creditors, Tom gives a good speech.
- On his deathbed, Mr. Tulliver makes Tom promise to buy back the mill and take care of his sister. Tom agrees.
- Tom rents a room from Bob Jakin and continues working at Guest and Co.
- Tom agrees to let Maggie see Philip again, but he and Maggie still have a strained relationship.
- Bob hints that Tom might be in love with Lucy.
- Tom is up for a promotion at work.
- He asks for his uncle’s help in buying back the mill.
- Finally, Tom is able to buy the mill and he moves back in.
- Tom angrily breaks off all ties with Maggie after her elopement.
- Maggie comes to rescue Tom during the flood, but they both drown.