Absolon Timeline and Summary
- Absolon first sees Alisoun among the other wives of the parish church and immediately falls for her.
- We learn that Absolon is a fastidious parish clerk with a penchant for the arts and a disgust for farting.
- Absolon begins his courtship of Alisoun by singing love songs outside her window. He sends her gifts and takes a role in a local play in an attempt to impress her.
- Absolon inquires about John's whereabouts and learns that no one has seen him all day long.
- He resolves to court Alisoun again, saying that his mouth is itchy (which he takes as a sign it needs to be kissed), and that he recently had a dream about a feast, both of which he interprets as meaning he's about to get lucky.
- Absolon positions himself at Alisoun's window and begs for her love. When she refuses, he asks for just a kiss.
- Absolon kisses Alisoun's bare butt when she sticks it out the window to play a joke on him.
- Angry, Absolon borrows a poker from the nearby blacksmith.
- He returns to Alisoun's window and, thinking it's Alison, brands Nicholas with the hot poker.
Previous Page: Nicholas