Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- What is the effect of Plath's choice to write the poem from a mirror's perspective?
- Why do you think Plath switched the perspective from a mirror to a lake?
- Would this poem read differently if it had been written by a man? What about if a man was visiting the lake?
- How does this poem relate to feminism?
- How old do you think the woman in the poem is?
- Growing older is scary in this poem. When you think of yourself aging, is it scary like that "terrible fish"?
Next Page: Best of the Web
Previous Page: Quotes