The Misanthrope Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Why does the play end so abruptly? How would it be different if we had a typical happy ending?
- Would The Misanthrope be as funny in prose? How about as a novel? An iPhone app? In other words, how much does form matter to content?
- What rules in society today constrain our actions? How would you go about being a modern-day misanthrope?
- If Alceste is a misanthrope, would it be fair to say that he hates himself as well?
- Is it possible to totally remove yourself from society nowadays? All Alceste has to do is leave Paris. We'd have to leave Google, Facebook, our phones and laptops behind.
- What do you think is Éliante's story? We don't know much about her, but what could she be thinking while watching her cousin flirt all day?
- Which female character seems more aligned with Alceste's values, Éliante or Célimène? How might that comparison work—that is, what characteristics do Célimène and Alceste share? Éliante and Alceste?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...