by Herman Melville
Related History & Literature on Shmoop
Available to teachers only as part of the Teaching Moby-Dick Teacher Pass
Teaching Moby-DickTeacher Pass includes:
- Assignments & Activities
- Reading Quizzes
- Current Events & Pop Culture articles
- Discussion & Essay Questions
- Challenges & Opportunities
- Related Readings in Literature & History
Sample of Related History & Literature on Shmoop
- Melville's Life
Here's our guide to Melville's biography, a great source of background and historical context.
- One of Melville's Inspirations
Melville had been rereading Shakespeare, especially Macbeth, around the time he wrote Moby-Dick. Compare the ambitions of the Scottish king and Ahab.