Mockingjay Chapter 27 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Snow laughs, and then starts dying too. Katniss can see policemen closing in on her. She thinks her only option is to take her nightlock pill.
- When she tries to get it, though, Peeta puts his hand in the way, so she bites him instead of the pill. Katniss freaks out. She wants Gale to shoot her but he doesn't do it either.
- Katniss is restrained and imprisoned back at the Training Center. People leave her alone, so all she can do is think.
- This ordeal hasn't exactly been good for her fragile body.
- She bathes and eats, and then waits. She doesn't know what to do. She can't commit suicide within this small room – there aren't enough supplies.
- She withdraws into the drugs they give her for pain, and starts to sing all the time. She's not sure why, or how long she's like this.
- Katniss becomes more and more sad, even depressed. She doesn't want to be part of this world anymore.
- One day, Haymitch shows up and releases her. He says she was on trial, but it's finished. He takes her to Plutarch, who explains what has happened while the three travel back to their home districts via hovercraft.
- Coin and Snow both died. Paylor became president of Panem. Katniss was put on trial, but Plutarch defended her, as did her shrink. She has been exiled, at least temporarily, back to 12.
- Plutarch wonders what long-term effects their revolution will have, then returns to District 3.
- Haymitch goes with Katniss to 12. Her mother won't be joining them; the memories of 12 are too painful.
- He drops her off in her old/new house, and leaves.
- The next day, Katniss's old friend Greasy Sae cooks for her. Greasy Sae stops by twice a day to make sure Katniss eats something.
- In the meantime, Katniss is basically in suspended animation. She feels alone. She's completely depressed and won't even bathe.
- Finally, one day, Greasy Sae lets Katniss know her prized possessions have been sent to the house. Katniss retreats into her dad's coat and has terrible dreams.
- The next day she wakes up to find Peeta outside her house. He has brought primroses to plant in her sister's memory.
- This helps galvanize Katniss. She's finally brave enough to go back up to her room and find the rose Snow left for her. She burns it straight away.
- Then she finally cleans herself. Greasy Sae lets her know that Gale has moved away.
- Katniss is soon ready to hunt again. She sees other people burying their dead. The dead include Katniss's one-time friend Madge, the mayor's daughter.
- The great field she played and hunted in is now a big burial ground.
- She misses Gale, and she misses her old self.
- Suddenly, she sees their old cat Buttercup. It's not until she yells at him that she's able to start crying for her sister. She and Buttercup finally start to become friends.
- After that, Katniss returns to humanity, reaching out to the people she'd been ignoring.
- She has an idea that she shares with Peeta. They make a memory book of all the people they knew who died in the Games and the war. They record whatever they can, with both words and pictures.
- Sometimes positive things still happen: Annie has a baby, so part of Finnick is still with them.
- Peeta, Katniss, and Haymitch stay. They're soon joined by others, who come back to make 12 a home again.
- Katniss and Peeta still struggle with post-traumatic stress disorder, and find love in each other once again. They're able to help heal each other and look forward to the future.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...