Mockingjay Chapter 4 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Katniss's former helpers – Octavia, Venia, and Flavius – are beaten and dirty, in terrible condition. They seem scared of her and have clearly been treated poorly.
- Katniss questions Venia and learns that the rebels kidnapped the three members of her "prep team" when Katniss escaped from the Quarter Quell.
- Plutarch admits that it was Cinna's idea, but he didn't think the prep team would be treated so badly.
- Apparently, they stole some food and were imprisoned by the citizens of 13.
- Katniss demands they be released and Plutarch backs her up. She, Plutarch, Fulvia, and Gale take the prep team to her mother, who's basically a doctor, at the hospital.
- Katniss's mother examines the prep team while the others wait. She thinks they should realize this is a sign of the authority Coin wields in 13 and tries to show Plutarch and Fulvia that their power is limited.
- Katniss's mother appears to say the others will be all right, but can't start work until the next day.
- Gale and Katniss have their midday meal, then go out to hunt. They have a limited of time to be out and then have to return to 13. They also have to wear trackers so the people at 13 know where they are.
- In order to hunt, they have to pass through a huge protective fence.
- They're incredibly relieved to be outside, trackers on or not.
- Gale and Katniss have a successful hunt and then take some time to rest. They talk about why Katniss is so worried about the prep team – Gale thinks it doesn't make sense.
- They disagree, but then time is up and they go back into the underground compound.
- After a misstep, Katniss heads to her family's new quarters – they were moved closer to the surface because of the cat. She naps.
- Then, her family heads to a meeting that everyone in 13 is supposed to attend.
- Katniss sees Finnick and calls out to him. He still seems mentally unwell, but with it enough to remind Katniss that she needs to also ask for protection for Annie, Finnick's lover who went insane.
- Katniss goes directly to Coin and requests this. She really has to push Coin to add it specifically to the list.
- Then, Coin addresses the entire room. She says Katniss will be their figurehead, the Mockingjay, and explains the terms Katniss requested. She adds a caveat, though, saying that if Katniss disobeys the rebels' orders, the whole deal will be off. Cat and all.
Next Page: Chapter 5
Previous Page: Chapter 3