The entire Hunger Games trilogy is based on an act of sacrifice: Katniss taking her sister's place in the Hunger Games. When Katniss wins the Games, it should complete the sacrifice and she should be allowed to go about her life again. But that clearly doesn't happen. At every turn, Katniss is called upon to repeat her sacrifice, to encourage others to do the same, and to keep giving up lives to a war that grows increasingly larger and out of control. In Mockingjay, every character we meet has had to give up something big, whether it's a home, a way of life, a career, or a loved one – and most of the characters we meet don't make it to the end of the book alive.
Questions About Sacrifice
- What do you think is the greatest sacrifice described in this text? Why?
- If you were in that character's place, do you think you could make that same sacrifice? Why or why not?
- What is the biggest sacrifice Katniss makes in Mockingjay?
- If someone's never had that much to begin with, what sacrifices can she still make?
- What kinds of sacrifices do you think Coin and Snow have made, if any?