The Monkey's Paw
Mr. White Timeline and Summary
- Mr. White buys the monkey's paw from Sergeant-Major Morris.
- At Herbert's suggestion, Mr. White wishes for two hundred pounds.
- The next day Mr. White learns that Herbert has been killed in an accident at work.
- Herbert's employer gives the Whites two hundred pounds to compensate them for Herbert's death.
- Ten days after Herbert's death, Mrs. White forces Mr. White to use the paw to wish Herbert back to life.
- Shortly after this, he hears a terrible knocking on the door and is convinced that Herbert is back from the dead.
- He is terrified and he makes one last wish on the paw.
- We don't know what he wishes, but the knocking stops.
- When he goes out into the street with Mrs. White, he sees that the street is empty.