A Monster Calls
A Monster Calls Chapter 14 Summary
Americans Don't Get Much Holiday
- Back at Grandma's, Conor's dad says he's only staying a few days, because Americans don't get much holiday (that's Brit-speak for vacation).
- Conor reminds his dad that he's not an American, but that doesn't change anything. Bottom line? Dad can't stay. But he promises to come back when he needs to.
- Conor knows what that means, and it makes him angry. When his dad asks if Conor wants company, Conor says no and goes into Grandma's house alone.
- Inside, he kicks the settee a few times, leaving satisfying scratches on his grandma's perfect floor. Then he looks up and sees the clock.
- It's about to chime nine o'clock. Just before it chimes, Conor reaches up to turn the hands toward the 12. He accidentally breaks the clock, and it stops.
- Immediately, he knows he's done something really, really bad. Grandma's house is your classic pristine old lady's house and now he's gone and messed it up.
- Plus, he's stopped the hands at 12:07.
- Sure enough, the monster shows up, right there in the living room.
- He's here to tell Conor a story about a man who thought only of himself.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...