A Monster Calls Chapter 20 Summary
Could it Be?
- Maybe, Conor thinks as he stands in the hospital hallway, the real reason the monster came was to save his mom.
- But just as he's wondering this, he hears his dad and grandma down the hall, fighting.
- His dad finally walks away from Grandma, comes up to Conor, and says he has to fly back to America because the new baby is sick.
- But he'll be back in less than two weeks. Which is cool with Conor, because the new medicine will have made his mom better by then.
- The dad rains all over the kiddo's parade by saying that the medicine probably isn't going to make her better.
- Apparently, Grandma wasn't just mad at Conor's dad because he's going back to America. She was mad because neither of Conor's parents has been honest with him throughout this whole thing.
- But Conor wants none of the honesty. The medicine's made from yew trees; surely that's why the monster has come to save his mom. The monster is a yew tree, after all.
- And it will probably be that night. It's only eight more hours until 12:07, when the monster will save his mom's life.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...