A Monster Calls Chapter 28 Summary
The Fourth Tale
- The monster tells Conor that if Conor doesn't tell the fourth tale, the monster will have to do it for him, and it won't be pretty.
- And when Conor begs the monster to let him go back to his mom, he just tells the boy that there's no need—she's already there with him.
- There's a cliff in the nightmare, and his mom's standing at the edge of it. Conor yells at her to move away, but she says she's fine and there's nothing to worry about.
- He hears the second monster, the monster in the chasm, roaring from below, then sees it climbing up the cliff to grab his mother.
- But Conor can't run until the monster pulls her down. So he gets there just in time to grab her hands, and nothing more.
- She begs him to help her, not to let her go. Conor yells that he won't, but the pit monster is pulling really hard.
- The yew tree monster tells Conor that this is the fourth story, but Conor tells it to shut up.
- Suddenly, he loses his grasp on his mother, and she falls into the pit.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...