Moon Over Manifest
Moon Over Manifest Chapters 14-15 Summary
Frog Hunting, June 5, 1936
- Abilene has the silver dollar that Ned won at the fair out on her windowsill now, too.
- She's had some time off from working for Miss Sadie because customers keep coming in to see her. Fortune telling must be big business.
- But Abilene's just dying to know how the story continues.
- Lettie and Ruthanne come over so they can all go frog hunting. You know, a perfectly normal pastime...
- Lettie's mom is going to fry their legs for dinner. Yum.
- While they're at it out in the woods, Abilene happens upon a random gravestone. And just then—they hear a scream. (Is it the Rattler? His latest victim? A terrified frog?)
- Nope. It came from a nice little house nearby. And soon, so does Sister Redempta.
- It turns out to be Billy's house, and Sister just delivered his new baby brother.
- The girls rush home so Lettie and Ruthanne can tell their moms.
Miss Sadie's Divining Parlor, June 6, 1936
- Walking to Miss Sadie's the next day, Abilene gets a little creeped out thinking about that lonely grave in the woods.
- She starts up her rhyming game again, but it doesn't help much, so she starts walking through the bushes for cover.
- When she pops out again, she runs right into Sister Redempta…
- … who tells her that the orphans she used to help care for used to make up rhymes, too. (Well, at least she's not mad?)
- Then she reminds her about her assignment and tells her it might be a good idea to look up the word "manifest" in the dictionary. (Ah, teachers and dictionaries—the love affair that never dies.)
- Abilene finally makes it to Miss Sadie's, where she's supposed to start planting seeds in that bone-dry garden.
- Miss Sadie knows about Billy's mom having a baby and is sending her some smooshed-up herbs for tea. Yum?
- Abilene mentions seeing Sister there, looking almost normal, with her veil off and her sleeves rolled up.
- Miss Sadie tells her that "the person you encounter is often more than the person you see" (15.37).
- And with that, she's back to the story. Hooray.