Moon Over Manifest
by Clare Vanderpool
Moon Over Manifest Chapters 33-35 Summary
The Jungle, August 11, 1936
- Abilene is sitting in her bed, wondering about the last memento from the box: the key. Where does it fit in the story?
- She hears harmonica music and goes outside to find Shady playing for some guys by the train tracks.
- He was handing out coffee and helping them out as best he could.
- Abilene realizes he hasn't been drinking all this time. Turns out he comes home all tired out and with bloodshot eyes out because he's helping these homeless dudes all night.
- She thinks of her daddy and wonders if he's thinking of her.
Remember When, August 12, 1936
- Hattie Mae has gotten a ton of responses to her contest. Abilene, Lettie, and Ruthanne read through all the entries, and it helps Abilene fill in Miss Sadie's story with more details.
- It's pretty funny stuff—you should totally check it out.
- Finally, Lettie finds the one with handwriting matching their note. It was Mr. Underhill, the undertaker.
- They assume he must be the Rattler. (Dun dun dun…)
Miss Sadie's Divining Parlor, August 23, 1936
- Abilene runs all the way back to tell Shady, but he's not there, so she runs to Miss Sadie's instead. Track star.
- She breaks the news, but Miss Sadie's too sick from her infected leg to react.
- All she says it that it was all a myth—and then she launches into her story again.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...