Moon Over Manifest
Moon Over Manifest Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Why is the story in Moon Over Manifest told in so many different layers: Abilene's story, Miss Sadie's story, letters from Ned, and Hattie Mae's newspaper articles? How does this structure affect the way we understand the book?
- Which is really the main storyline of the book: Abilene's or Jinx's? Why?
- In Manifest, everyone belongs to some sort of group except Jinx and Abilene. Why is belonging such a big deal in this book?
- What differences in writing styles do you notice between the various stories told by different characters? What similarities do you see? What does that tell us about these characters?
- The name of the town—Manifest—is definitely symbolic. Why does Sister Redempta have Abilene look its definition up? Why is the town welcome sign such a big deal? How does the town name reflect the stories told about it?