Merlin Timeline and Summary
- Merlin enchants Uther to look like Gorlois and helps him to sleep with Igrayne, conceiving Arthur in the process. He then arranges for Arthur to be fostered by Sir Ector.
- When Merlin places the sword in the stone in a churchyard in London, he writes an inscription saying that the person who can pull it out is King of England.
- In the guise of an old man, Merlin informs Arthur of his parentage. Then, disguised as a young boy, he tells Arthur about Mordred, who will one day be the downfall of Arthur's kingdom.
- Merlin helps Arthur to find Excalibur, the sword that enables him to defeat whomever he wields it against.
- In the "Tale of Balyn and Balan," Merlin warns Balyn that he will strike a dolorous stroke that will destroy a kingdom, and then rescues him from a castle when that very same dolorous stroke causes it to fall.
- Despite his many misgivings, Merlin arranges for Arthur to marry Gwenyvere.
- Finally, Merlin falls in love with Nenyve, who imprisons him in a rock when she tires of his attentions. And so goes Merlin.
Next Page: Morgan le Fay Timeline
Previous Page: Galahad