by Virginia Woolf
Peter Walsh Timeline and Summary
- Once again, it's a June day in 1923 (in case you hadn't caught that yet).
- In the morning, Peter shows up at Clarissa’s house unannounced. He has a brief discussion with her and, oops, bursts into tears.
- When Clarissa's daughter walks in, he quickly leaves, and then mopes around, reflecting on memories of being rejected by Clarissa.
- Peter walks toward Trafalgar Square, then heads to Regent’s Park and falls asleep on a bench.
- In the park, he watches a little girl playing with her nurse and observes Septimus and Rezia.
- As the day goes on, he continues to have memories of Bourton and of Sally Seton.
- In the evening, he hears the sound of an ambulance as he walks down the street, and he thinks back to walks he took with Clarissa around London.
- When he arrives at his hotel, he has received a letter from Clarissa. That was quick.
- He has dinner at his hotel, then leaves for Clarissa’s party.
- At the party, Peter socializes with Sally, but eagerly awaits an encounter with Clarissa.
- Finally, at 3:00AM, Clarissa appears in the room, much to Peter’s delight.