My Ántonia Book 1, Chapter 19 Summary
- It's July and very hot. Ántonia and Jim are in the garden to pick vegetables for dinner. She says she likes to work outside and be like a man. She makes Jim feel her muscles.
- All the Burdens are happy to have Ántonia back working for them.
- One night during a storm Ántonia and Jim climb up on the roof together to watch the clouds. Ántonia wishes her father lived to see the summer. She hopes winter never comes.
- Jim wants to know why Tony isn't nice like this all the time, instead of being like Ambrosch.
- Ántonia says that things would be different if her life was easy like Jim's. But things will be hard for her and her family.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search