My Ántonia Book 1, Chapter 19 Summary
- It's July and very hot. Ántonia and Jim are in the garden to pick vegetables for dinner. She says she likes to work outside and be like a man. She makes Jim feel her muscles.
- All the Burdens are happy to have Ántonia back working for them.
- One night during a storm Ántonia and Jim climb up on the roof together to watch the clouds. Ántonia wishes her father lived to see the summer. She hopes winter never comes.
- Jim wants to know why Tony isn't nice like this all the time, instead of being like Ambrosch.
- Ántonia says that things would be different if her life was easy like Jim's. But things will be hard for her and her family.