My Brother Sam Is Dead
My Brother Sam Is Dead Chapter 14 Summary
- Did that last chapter have you hoping that maybe just maybe General Putnam would set Sam free?
- Well get ready for another shot of sad news: General P isn't going to let Sam go. It seems like there's nothing left to be done.
- The night before Sam's execution, Tim decides to take matters into his own hands one last time.
- He grabs his bayonet and his coat, and he's out the door to save his brother. His mom thinks this is the worst idea in the history of ideas. But that's not stopping her stubborn son.
- Once he gets to the encampment, Tim comes up with a makeshift plan. He'll kill the stockade guard and try to get Sam free. Or he'll at least try to get the bayonet to Sam so he can escape. Easy enough, right? Um, wrong.
- Somehow Tim chucks his bayonet into the stockade, but then he gets nicked with a bullet once the guard figures out what's happening.
- Lucky for Tim, he's a fast runner, so he's able to escape.
- Unlucky for Tim, the prisoners have been moved from the stockade. So that bayonet won't do Sam any good. Looks like Sam's luck is all run out. Time to break out the tissues.
- The next day, Mama Meeker stays home but Tim decides to go to the execution.
- After the soldiers hang one other prisoner, they bring Sam out with a bag over his head.
- Three soldiers shoot at him, and his clothes burst into flames.
- And here's the worst part: Sam doesn't die instantly; he's on fire and writhing in pain.
- Finally, another soldier shoots him, and Sam stops moving.