Nation Chapter 4 Summary
How It All Goes Down
Bargains, Covenants, and Promises
- Half-asleep on the beach, Daphne spends a lot of time thinking about her pre-crash life.
- When she wakes up, they try and have another meal together. This one goes a little better, even if it does give them gas and send them into fits of giggles.
- After the meal, the parrot squawks, "Show us yer drawers!" (4.80) and the Grandfathers in Mau's head command "REPLACE THE GOD ANCHORS!" (4.85).
- Mau decides to do the second one.
- The god anchors are special giant stones that the tsunami tossed into the lagoon.
- Mau retrieves the anchors for the god of Air and the god of Fire, then he sits around and hates on the gods a lot for letting all his people die.
- Daphne breaks up the blasphemous pity party by trying to communicate with Mau.
- By drawing in the sand and talk. ing. slow. ly. to. each. oth. er, they make some headway in understanding each other.
- Suddenly, Daphne spots a canoe on the horizon.
- A priest and a woman who just gave birth arrive on the island. The woman is too ill to nurse, and the baby is starving.
- Unfortunately, the priest, named Ataba, arrives just in time to hear Mau blaspheme the gods. He gives Mau the charming nickname of "demon boy" (4.253).
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search