Nation Today Summary
How It All Goes Down
- The scene shifts to a modern-day, parallel-universe room with a seismograph in it. It appears that we've been listening, along with two children, to an old man tell the story we just read.
- The kids can't believe the ship just sailed away with Daphne on it. No happy ending!? What is this, The Sopranos?
- Well, there's more. Many scientists, including Albert Einstein and Carl Sagan, visited the island in the following years.
- We're told that Daphne came back about a year later for a visit, but she didn't stay there. She went back to England to marry a European prince.
- But there is kind of a happy ending: when she died, her coffin was sent back to the island to be buried at sea there, where Mau had been laid to rest just two months prior.
- Hm, okay, not so happy.
- The story over, the man shows the kids a telescope, and they view Jupiter even though it's broad daylight.
- After the kids leave, the man steps outside to view the lagoon. He sees a dolphin leap into the air, and the man smiles.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search