Never Let Me Go
by Kazuo Ishiguro
Ruth Timeline & Summary
This timeline is in chronological order—not the order in which events occur in the book. Think of it as a mini Ruth biography.
- A seven-year-old Ruth invites Kathy to play with her imaginary horses, and then to be part of Miss Geraldine's secret guard.
- About a year later, Ruth comes up with a theory to test if Madame is scared of Hailsham students.
- Ruth and Kathy get in lots of fights. One of their biggest tiffs is about a pencil case that Ruth claims to have received from Miss Geraldine. They also rekindle their friendship when Ruth gives Kathy a cassette tape to replace the one's she's lost.
- In her teen years, Ruth starts dating Tommy. They break up briefly, but then get back together.
- At the Cottages, Ruth gets in a variety of fights with Kathy, including one where she throws Kathy's sex life in her face.
- When Chrissie and Rodney think they've spotted Ruth's possible, she joins in on a road trip to Norfolk.
- Back at the Cottages, Ruth drives a wedge in her trio with Kathy and Tommy. Her goading serves as the catalyst for Kathy's departure.
- After serving as a carer, Ruth becomes a donor. She has a rough first donation, but pulls through.
- Ruth gets a new carer in her old friend Kathy.
- During a road trip to see a stranded boat, Ruth tells Tommy and Kathy that she wants them to find Madame and apply for a deferral.
- Soon after, Ruth completes.