Cite This Page
New Moon Chapter 12 Summary Page 1
How It All Goes Down
- Bella finds Jacob outside her window. He apologizes and says he’s come to keep his promise to her. Bella wants an explanation, but Jacob tells her that he can’t tell her, but that she already knows his secret.
- Jacob reminds Bella of the day they first met at the beach in La Push. Bella only remembers flirting with Jacob to get the dirt on Edward. And, yes, Jacob babbled about Quileute legends, one of which proved true: the cold ones, or vampires, really do exist. She can’t remember all the rest of it. Jacob pleads with her to remember. He hugs her with bone-crushing force before he takes off.
- Bella dreams of Jacob dragging her through a dark forest near the beach in La Push. She remembers she had this dream after the night Jacob told her that Edward was a vampire. In the first dream, Edward emerged out of the forest, but in this dream, the brown russet wolf appears in his place, staring at her with those dark familiar eyes. Jacob! She wakes up screaming.
- The legends are now coming back to Bella: the Quileute descended from wolves. The cold ones are their natural enemies and, to fight them, their ancestors turned into giant wolves. Werewolves.
- Bella is shocked: Jacob must have turned into a werewolf.
What kind of place is this? Could a world really exist where ancient legends went wandering around the borders of tiny insignificant town, facing down mythical monsters?… Wasn’t one myth enough for anyone, enough for a lifetime? (12.175)
- Again, Bella finds herself in the company of monsters. At least it’s now all making sense. Sam Uley’s gang is a pack of werewolves and Jacob is one of them. They saved her from Laurent.
- Before Bella takes off to La Push to tell Jacob she solved the riddle, she learns from Charlie that another hiker disappeared in the woods and that a team of rangers and volunteers is going to shoot the wolves. Bella is torn:
Should I warn him, if he and his friends were…were murderers? If they were out slaughtering innocent hikers in cold blood? (12.223)