Cite This Page
New Moon Chapter 13 Summary Page 1
How It All Goes Down
- On the drive to La Push, Bella decides that she has to warn Jacob, but can’t turn a blind eye to his pack killing innocent people
- In La Push, Bella tells Jacob that he has to stop being a monster. Jacob accuses her of being a hypocrite: "Well, I’m so sorry that I can’t be the right kind of monster for you, Bella" (13.67).
- Bella explains to Jacob she couldn’t care less that he’s a werewolf – just that he’s one that kills innocent people. Jacob enlightens her to the fact that they’re protecting people from recent vampire attacks. He reveals they killed Laurent. What a relief!
- Jacob warns Bella that it’s dangerous for her to be around him, saying "If I get too mad… too upset… you might get hurt" (13.129).
- Basically, if his anger gets the best of him, he turns into a werewolf. No full moon necessary.
- Bella also learns that Jacob and his pack have been hunting Victoria. She gets Jacob up to speed about her history with James, and Victoria’s death plans for her. Jacob calls in a meeting with the other werewolves to inform them.
- On the drive to Sam Uley’s house, Bella warns Jacob to stay away from Victoria, because she might kill him.
- Jacob is insulted. He tells her that the werewolves are strong and fast and have special skills: as werewolves, they can hear each other’s thoughts.
- Bella reveals to Jacob that vampires have special talents too. Jacob sees the potential in her knowledge:
"It’s not like you’re just some ignorant human. You’re like a… spy… You’ve been behind enemy lines." (13.229)
- Of course, Bella doesn’t like the sound of that and feels like a traitor.
- Jacob asks Bella if she has ever thought that she’s better off without Edward. Bella says no.