New Moon Chapter 18 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Jacob tells Bella that, with Alice at her house, he and his friends can only protect her on their own lands. This is all because Carlisle once formed a treaty with Jacob’s great grandfather, which states that werewolves can’t step on vampire territory if the werewolves are there.
- Nevertheless, Jacob promises Bella that he will always be her friend, "no matter who she loves" (18.69).
- Jacob pulls Bella into a kiss moment. Bella remains undecided: if true love is lost, what’s the protocol for other kisses? The phone rings and breaks the spell. Jacob answers, telling the caller that Charlie isn’t home because he’s attending the funeral. He hangs up and says the caller was Carlisle Cullen.
- Alice stumbles into the room. She’s just had a vision. She told Rosalie about Bella’s alleged death, and now Rosalie told Edward (because Rosalie hates Bella). The caller – it turns out – was actually none other than Edward.
- It gets worse, though. Alice is able to see that Edward plans to execute his contingency plan in the event of Bella’s death: he has decided to go to Italy and to provoke the Volturi to kill him.
- Alice is convinced that their only chance to save Edward is for him to see Bella in the flesh. Any member of the Cullen family will only drive him to act quicker. But Alice warns Bella of the dangers involved:
"Whether we are in time or not, we will be in the heart of the Volturi city… You will be a human who not only knows too much, but smells too good." (18.187)
- Bella doesn’t care. Jacob begs Bella to not go – for Charlie, for him. Bella still doesn’t care. All she cares about is Edward.