New Moon Chapter 20 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Volterra is packed with people, dressed in red shawls and donning fake vampire teeth. Alice bribes a police officer to let them drive into the city, but they still can’t get to the main plaza (Palazzo di Priori).
- Alice tells Bella it’s all on her now. She has to push her way through the crowd to the plaza, all before the clock tower strikes noon. Although Bella runs as fast she can she loses hope:
I wasn’t going to make it. I was stupid and slow and human, and we were all going to die because of it. (20.40)
- Against all expectations, Bella makes it to the clock tower as it chimes noon. She sees Edward, standing ready in the shade, and slams into him. Edward believes they have reunited in death and recites Shakespeare to her:
- Bella also feels like she’s entered heaven:
I knew we were both in mortal danger. Still, in that instant, I felt well… It was like there had never been any hole in my chest. (20.70)
- Their joy upon their reunion is short-lived, because Edward and Bella find themselves surrounded by Volturi guards. Alice appears at their side, but it’s clear they have no other option than to follow the Volturi. Bella is surprised by the respect that a small, androgynous vampire named Jane commands.
- They all enter through a hole in the ground, then make it through a dark series of tunnels that lead to the underground Volturi family quarters.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search