New Moon Theme of Transformation
In New Moon, characters experience two kinds of transformation: natural and supernatural. Bella undergoes a natural transformation. Broken-hearted and deserted by her true love, she turns into a lifeless zombie, only to be brought back to life by Jacob’s love and friendship. Yet, she briefly rebels against her "good-girl" nature by engaging in reckless activities, and changing into a bit of a "bad-girl." Eventually, she emerges a stronger, more mature character. Jacob undergoes a supernatural transformation into a werewolf. Meanwhile, Bella pines for a supernatural transformation into a vampire. Both natural and supernatural transformations involve great pain and a sense of losing control.
Questions About Transformation
- How does Jacob change mentally and physically after he transforms into a werewolf? How are his physical and mental transformations related?
- Does Bella and Edward’s relationship undergo a transformation during this novel?
- Transforming into a vampire or a werewolf is associated with pain. What human transformations do we go through that cause us pain?
- In what way does Bella transform through Jacob?
- Why does Bella want so badly to become a vampire?